Pitch

It's Here!

Book Two in The Huntington Saga Series Novels~

Pirate Bride!

Miss Susannah Blakemore is kidnapped and sold into white slavery as payback to the Huntingtons. Will her pirate hero save her?

“The Huntingtons will pay. Oh, they will pay.” Plots and unholy alliances are put into action carrying out long-awaited retribution.

Only … one was not thought of. One was not even considered. How would anyone have guessed that a descendant of a pirate would take up his old family tradition in a mad quest to regain his bitterly lost love? The Marquess of Latham will not abide by this act of violence arranged for his precious love, but will surely save her -- will he not? And will he make her the next pirate bride?

Next? There must be a first to have a 'next'. But there was another ... centuries ago ... that still walks the halls of Stonecrest Castle.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday, June 24, 2011 -- Bi-Weekly Blog -- The Governess


Excerpt from The Governess -- Chapter 10:

It was morning.  The birds were loudly chirping outside Carly’s windows. 
But she hardly noticed. 
Carly gave particular attention to her hair and gown as she prepared to meet with Lord Huntington and, hopefully, his children.  Apparently he had allowed her to stay all the night.  How generous of him!  Unfortunately the circles under her eyes were beyond repair from her disturbed sleep.  Now, all she could do was pray. 
So, she had.  All morning. 
Reassurance came as she remembered previous entreaties on bended knee, helping her to understand that all was going as designed by a loving Father and His guiding hand.  Believing further that the children’s faith-filled prayers were uniquely powerful, the calmness she felt grew in abundance and swelled deeply in her heart.  Completely contrary to her feelings of last night, Carly was glad for the change. 
Earlier, Millesant had brought breakfast up to her to hurry her along.  So helpful and kind, Millesant was becoming a fast friend.  Knocking sounded upon the door again, and quietly opening it, Millesant came in smiling sweetly, ready to help further. 
“Good morning, milady!  Oh, you look a lovely sight!” 
“Thank you, Millesant, and you do not have to pretend.  I know how I look,” the governess said a little wearily.  Her mind slipped back to the horrible noises from last night which had further caused her sleeplessness.  As if she wasn’t having trouble already! 
“But, no worries milady.  Everything will be made right,” she tried convincing herself.  “You shall see!  Now, get that frown from your pretty face.  I shall wish you luck all the same, especially after last night.” 
Carly shuddered at her memories, jumping from one bad episode to the next.  Absently, she asked, “Why would someone purposely try and frighten me?  Am I that undesirable to have around as a governess?” 
Millesant looked completely baffled.  “I do not believe that the master was trying to frighten you on purpose, milady.  Of course, he can be terrifying, but never intentionally.”  Conviction was written upon the maid’s countenance. 
A look of confusion covered Carly’s face.  “Yes, of course.  I did not mean Lord Huntington, though he did frighten me as well.” 
“Yes, I am quite sure of it.  But then, what are you speaking of, milady, if not the master?” 
“Oh.”  What could Carly say?  She was puzzled herself.  “Well…besides my encounter with the master, I…”  Had she imagined the noises?  No, she was sure she had not.  So then, what was her conclusion?  “Someone was trying to frighten me last night by scratching at my door.” 
Now that it was out, it sounded absolutely ridiculous! 
            “For heaven’s sake, milady!  Are you alright?”  Millesant came closer observing the dark circles under Carly’s eyes with additional insight. 
            “I am not that easily manipulated, Millesant, but I was frightened, nonetheless.”  Carly was touched to see that Millesant was genuinely concerned about her well being.  “I just don’t understand why, that is all.” 
With furrowed brow, Millesant exclaimed, “You can bet I’ll talk this over straight away with Mrs. Thompson, to be sure!” 
“Thank you…but, I may not,” hesitatingly, she continued, “I may not be here for long this morning.”  Staring blankly, in agony over the memory of her battle with Lord Huntington, Carly dismally turned away from Millesant. 
“Milady, I do know about your skirmish with Lord Huntington last night.  I am very sorry.  He can be a bit bullheaded, as you well know.”  She tugged gently at Carly’s shoulder and looked at the troubled governess thinking that she, of all people, would forgive her discourteous words used against her master. 
Meekly, Carly quietly asked, “You say you do know about last night then?” 
“I am sorry, milady.  I did not mean any disrespect by saying that, but it was awfully hard not to hear all the commotion.  It is only…well, the staff and I are all cheering for you, milady.” 
Astonished by this information, Carly asked, “So, you all heard?” 
“Only those of us that were in the nearby kitchens, milady.”  Shrugging her shoulders, she added, “Which was most of us.  Sorry!”  Sheepishly she continued, “But like I said, we are all rooting for you…at least most of us,” she said in afterthought.  Smiling brightly at Carly, she said, “You are so well-liked already, milady.” 
Hesitating for only a moment, Carly gave Millesant a big hug, and exclaimed, “Thank you so much, for all you have done.  Encouragement is priceless and I thank you for yours, Millesant.”  Brushing the dear girls’ cheek, she then said, “Well, moving on!  Do I look the part of governess this morning, Millesant, or shall I pack my bags now?” 
“You look lovely as always, milady, although, I would like to play with your hair a bit here,” she pointed at the severe chignon at the nape of Carly’s neck.  “Now sit down and let me primp a little.”  Millesant worked her magic yet again on her hair, making Carly feel more like a lady than a governess. 
“There.  A few more curls like that will do the trick.  No need to look like you are an old maid just yet.”  They each smiled at each other’s reflection in the mirror while Millesant’s excellent hands did their job. 
“Thank you, again, Millesant.  I so appreciate your kindness to me.” 
Millesant smiled back at Carly, always enthusiastic of her kind approval.  “I am pleased as punch to help you, milady.  I hope you always know that.”  After they were finished, they stood looking at each other for a breathless moment. 
“Well, I shall be off then.” 
“And good luck to you, milady.” 


Will Carly get thrown out?  Join me on Monday to find out!
Thanks,
Ellise :)

No comments: