Pitch

It's Here!

Book Two in The Huntington Saga Series Novels~

Pirate Bride!

Miss Susannah Blakemore is kidnapped and sold into white slavery as payback to the Huntingtons. Will her pirate hero save her?

“The Huntingtons will pay. Oh, they will pay.” Plots and unholy alliances are put into action carrying out long-awaited retribution.

Only … one was not thought of. One was not even considered. How would anyone have guessed that a descendant of a pirate would take up his old family tradition in a mad quest to regain his bitterly lost love? The Marquess of Latham will not abide by this act of violence arranged for his precious love, but will surely save her -- will he not? And will he make her the next pirate bride?

Next? There must be a first to have a 'next'. But there was another ... centuries ago ... that still walks the halls of Stonecrest Castle.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Monday, May 30, 2011 - BiWeekly Blog - Chapter 8

Excerpt from The Governess - Chapter 8:
Chapter 8
*******

            “I must be prepared for this evening,” Carly said to herself.  She was determined to be the more appropriately dressed governess than she had felt the night before.  But what a battle she had in store with Millesant! 
            “But why ever for, milady, must you be so modest?” 
            “What a silly question!  And besides, I am only thinking of my position here, Millesant.  I must keep it!  I rely upon it.  I know you must understand.” 
            “No, I do not.  You have no need to fear Lord Huntington’s disapproval.  We are all glad you are here.  I feel it.” 
            “I wish to keep it that way!  Now, be a good girl and let me do what is best.” 
            “I think it best to put a good foot forward, milady.” 
            “That is precisely what I am trying to do!” 
            “Most women take advantage of God’s gifts to them, milady, instead of covering them all up, if I do say so myself!” 
            “Oh, Millesant!  Honestly!” 
            “Yessiree, milady!  That’s exactly what I think.” 
            “You will find, Millesant, that I am not ‘most women.’” 
            “I can see that, ma’am, if you’ll please excuse me.” 
Carly found that her maid could be quite headstrong!  Her opinions in all her toiletry were decidedly firm!  In the end, Carly wore her hair a little more modestly, no ringlets, yet still with curls about her face and head. 
“It comes to you so naturally,” explained Millesant, “that it would be a crime to not use it all to your advantage.” 
“To my advantage?  Oh, come, come, Millesant.  Haven’t I just explained to you how I feel about such tactics?” 
Millesant defiantly stuck out her chin, determined to make the most of this young lady as she could. 
A turquoise evening gown, another one of Carly’s finest from her coming out, had been picked and carefully prepared by the maid.  Again, this gown would need an extra snug corset in order for Carly to fit, for she had matured considerably in the years since it had been made for her. 
“Good grief Millesant!  Do you wish me,” gasp, “to be able,” yet another gasp, “to eat my meal?”  Carly blew out a slow breath.  “I think the corset tight enough!” 
Smiling smugly, Millesant said, “Of course, milady,” giving it one last strong pull.  Knowing Carly felt self-conscious about the fit of the older gowns, Millesant said encouragingly, “Milady, even a potato sack would look marvelous on you, corset or not.” 
“What a dear girl!”  As Carly patted Millesant’s cheek, she determined aloud, “Nonetheless, I should like to acquire fabric, needle, and thread when I am able and do something about making new gowns.”
“Yes, milady.” 
Only now had she felt the need to replace them altogether, owing this to a man who examined her so thoroughly.  Off to dinner she went, doing her best not to anticipate anything that would disturb her hard found serenity.  Thoughts, such as library shelving pressing upon her back, tried forcing their way into her mind.  Shooing them quickly from her active mind, she thought, Oh! to be dining with this man now!  It seemed impossible for her to endure.  But endure she would. 
Did she really have any other choice? 

Thanks for reading with me today!  Hope you enjoy reading about Carly and Creighton!  Comment and let me know what you think.

Have a great day!
Ellise

No comments: