Pitch

It's Here!

Book Two in The Huntington Saga Series Novels~

Pirate Bride!

Miss Susannah Blakemore is kidnapped and sold into white slavery as payback to the Huntingtons. Will her pirate hero save her?

“The Huntingtons will pay. Oh, they will pay.” Plots and unholy alliances are put into action carrying out long-awaited retribution.

Only … one was not thought of. One was not even considered. How would anyone have guessed that a descendant of a pirate would take up his old family tradition in a mad quest to regain his bitterly lost love? The Marquess of Latham will not abide by this act of violence arranged for his precious love, but will surely save her -- will he not? And will he make her the next pirate bride?

Next? There must be a first to have a 'next'. But there was another ... centuries ago ... that still walks the halls of Stonecrest Castle.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday, July 1, 2011 -- Bi-Weekly Blog -- The Governess

Excerpt from The Governess -- Chapter 10 continued:

Noticing the way his amazing jaw clenched, muscles working hard against his own emotion, she listened to him say, “My last question may be difficult for you, but I require your unfailing honesty, again.”
“Yes, my lord.”  Worry furrowed her brow. 
“Will you be obedient to my will?” 
Blushing, she knew that she had already shown him how well she obeyed.  Did he have anything else in mind?  She hoped not!  But how certain could she be?  Looking down at her hands wringing her skirt in her lap, she uncomfortably, haltingly said, “My… lord…I…”
“It is simple.  Will you, or will you not?”
“I will to the best of my ability to do so, my lord.” 
He smiled a slight, knowing smile. 
Nervously sputtering out, she exclaimed, “I cannot know your will in all things my lord.  I will make mistakes, to be sure.  I believe there can be leniency about some things, sir, understanding in others…” 
“Alright.  I will accept that—for now.”  Shocking her, he smiled the handsomest smile, stopping her from thinking or doing anything coherent.  It disappeared all too quickly, and he was all business again.  Surely, she hoped, he was not laughing at her.  “I do have here a list of criteria I wish for my children to be taught, almost exactly like the one that I sent you by post.”  Handing her his list, she looked it over, noticing his strong, masculine handwriting.  Nodding, she exhaled as she read, looking back up at him. 
“Do you wish to add to this list?”
“I do, my lord.”  Gulping nervously for air, she added, “I would like to have the music lessons of which I have mentioned before.  Also, it would be wonderful for them to perform some of the music and songs they have learned from time to time.  I believe it builds confidence that cannot be found in any other way than having those they love applaud them in their efforts.” 
            “I have contemplated the use of the music room, and I have decided I will allow its use, but I will have to think about the performances.” 
            “Sir, it is the only natural course to take upon engaging in such lessons.”  Noting his scowl, she immediately complied, “Alright.”  Sighing, she said, “Children and governesses need fresh air.  I would like to be allowed time outdoors with the children to explore their world, to teach them by feeling, touching, smelling…”
            He nodded.   
            “…and outings, like picnics and such.” 
            Again, he nodded his head in agreement.  To himself, he thought that his children would be having a wonderful time with Lady Blakemore. 
            “Also, some basics in the language arts.” 
            “Hmmm, I do not expect this, but approve.”  Enthusiastic, he asked, “What languages would you teach, out of curiosity?” 
            “I would teach French, German, Italian, and maybe some Danish.” 
Nodding his approval again, he asked, “And where did you gain this knowledge, may I ask?” 
“My mother, and also my governess, my lord.”  He raised his eyebrows, impressed with her skills.  She hesitated before asking the next question.  “And I would like to request that you be a part of their education at least once a week.”  
She waited. 
            Sighing a heavy sigh, he scowled at her.  “You ask too much of me presently.” 
            Disappointedly, she nodded her head. 
            To change the subject quickly, he said, “The children have always had Mrs. Wilder as their nanny.  I will continue to engage her for the care and nurture of the children; bathing, meals, and those sorts of things.  This gives you both a break and time off to the betterment of both your care of my children.  You will be allowed to regulate your own time off to begin with, and if I need to, I will step in to regulate it as well.  But I seriously doubt it will come to that.”  His eyes twinkled. 
            Carly queried, “Do you have any kind of schedule for Mrs. Wilder and me to follow, as a guide?”
            Handing her another sheet of paper, she glanced at it and nodded. 
            “Do you have any other questions or requests, Lady Blakemore?”
            “Not at the moment, my lord.” 
            Continuing, he explained, “All the family’s private rooms are in the same hall, as you have probably been told.  Even though the children’s room adjoins to yours on one side, and to Nanny’s on the other, through the schoolroom, I am nearby if there is need of me.  Most children, as I’m sure you are aware, spend their lives above stairs in the schoolroom.  My family has strayed from this tradition, and I have kept that practice of my family, hence, the additional schoolroom.” 
            “Yes, my lord.  I approve.  I think it wonderful that they are kept close to you.” 
            “Do you then?”  Raising an eyebrow, he sarcastically continued.  “I am glad of your approval.” 
Carly squirmed in her chair growing unsure of herself. 
He suddenly became serious, “I do mean it, Lady Blakemore.  Your approval is quite welcome.” 
His look was tantalizingly mischievous.  Carly could feel color rising in her cheeks as he persistently scrutinized her. 
He continued, “Lastly, I have a request to make of you.” 
            Carly ignored the impulse to fan her face, answering him instead, “Yes, my lord?” 
            With new determination upon his face, he said, “I wish you to be a part of my household—socially.  Dine with me and my guests, attend parties, balls, and those sorts of things.” 

Hmmm?  Why would Lord Huntington want her to be part of his household socially?  Questions and more questions...  Thanks for reading today!  Join me on Monday for more! 
Ellise ;)

No comments: