Pitch

It's Here!

Book Two in The Huntington Saga Series Novels~

Pirate Bride!

Miss Susannah Blakemore is kidnapped and sold into white slavery as payback to the Huntingtons. Will her pirate hero save her?

“The Huntingtons will pay. Oh, they will pay.” Plots and unholy alliances are put into action carrying out long-awaited retribution.

Only … one was not thought of. One was not even considered. How would anyone have guessed that a descendant of a pirate would take up his old family tradition in a mad quest to regain his bitterly lost love? The Marquess of Latham will not abide by this act of violence arranged for his precious love, but will surely save her -- will he not? And will he make her the next pirate bride?

Next? There must be a first to have a 'next'. But there was another ... centuries ago ... that still walks the halls of Stonecrest Castle.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday, August 19, 2011 -- The Governess -- Twice Weekly Blog


Excerpt from The Governess -- Chapter 13:

Carly’s heart ached as she read the sadness in the marred pages of this tiny book...the book of poetry given to her to read by Lord Huntington her first night.  It was obvious that someone had read these particular passages often, but only to her amazement, for they were terrible and filled with loneliness. 
Was it he? 
There was hope in the passages as well, but thinking of Lord Huntington as the reader of these words, her heart flip-flopped with concern for him and then trepidation.  The rain cascaded down the windows of the salon in rippling sheets as she read on: 
                                                                       
White shoulders and ebony hair
Work their magic and flawless snare
Bluest eyes and garnet lips
Through my hands doest thou slip
Waiting impatient for true love’s bliss
Would that I could capture your kiss
Try me, mock me, break my heart
But do not from me ever part
Callous and cold can you be
When will you ever rescue me
From my pain and lovesick soul
Wilt thou please surrender whole
Can it be that thou art shy
Timid, demure, purest eye
Hold me, love me, tell me true
That your love blossoms anew

Immediately, she did not like the woman talked of in this poem.  How could she torment someone who obviously loved her so intensely?  Carly could not fathom being so unkind. 
“Wicked, wicked woman.  At least ease his troubled heart by letting the gentleman know of one’s disinterest.  Allow him to move on, even with a broken heart.”  She continued with another poem, distressed at the deep response of emotion she was feeling. 

Watching her across the yard
Helplessly surrendering to her charm
Would that she could see my heart
And relieve it from its pain
Truly, is there something to guard
Or from me cause you any harm
For I do not think I could depart
And remain completely sane

            Secretly, she wished the woman in yet another poem would turn around and see her hidden lover’s pain at not having her.  Would she turn to him?  Ease his pain? 
Laughing at herself, she suddenly asked, “Why do I care?”  She continued a bit impatiently, noticing that this next page was badly disfigured and nearly torn from the book: 

Words cut at my heart
Fear encircled me
This was my worst nightmare
I wanted to stop the words
STOP!  I shouted
Do not say such things to me
Tears formed in my eyes because of my breaking heart
But I did not want to be seen
I looked away out the window
As if not hurting as badly as I did

Willingly showing affection
Putting my arms around bravely for the first time
There was a difference
Always this had been wanted from me
Now that I freely gave
It was rejected
Fear had grown first at that moment

Fervent in my explanation that it did not have to be this way
My words were not accepted
Hurting me instead by cold resolve
For months I cried
For years…I died

Married, but not to me
For my pain was too infinite and unforgiving
Only now did I realize the gifts given me
My freedom
My virtue

Budding love was a beginning to something greater
I did not understand at the time
Barely do I now
But I was protected in this way
Only realizing after the pain
How much happier I had become

Sadness consumed Carly.  Were these insights into her master’s troubled heart?  Were these words any sort of reflection or secret longing?  She was embarrassed at the possible glimpse into his secret wounds that he had invited.  Could he be gentle and kind, wishing for love’s bliss?  She was quite sure that if he wished it, he could level a room with swooning ladies collapsing on top of one another with enraptured fantasies floating in their silly heads. 
Putting her hand to her mouth, she giggled as this silly thought played out in her mind. 
But then she reflected upon the brooding passion this man carried with him always.  Was he doomed to unhappiness or was his heart merely broken?  Would he heal?  And what sort of woman would it take to heal him? 
Blushing at the desire that approached her heart at the thought of being that woman, she thought, how could she, of all people, create the sort of feelings she was sure would be needed to conquer his broken heart?  A man such as he?  “Impossible!” she stated to the empty room. 


How will Carly look at her master after reading such poetry?
Thanks for reading with me today!  Join me on Monday for more. 
Ellise ;)

No comments: