Pitch

It's Here!

Book Two in The Huntington Saga Series Novels~

Pirate Bride!

Miss Susannah Blakemore is kidnapped and sold into white slavery as payback to the Huntingtons. Will her pirate hero save her?

“The Huntingtons will pay. Oh, they will pay.” Plots and unholy alliances are put into action carrying out long-awaited retribution.

Only … one was not thought of. One was not even considered. How would anyone have guessed that a descendant of a pirate would take up his old family tradition in a mad quest to regain his bitterly lost love? The Marquess of Latham will not abide by this act of violence arranged for his precious love, but will surely save her -- will he not? And will he make her the next pirate bride?

Next? There must be a first to have a 'next'. But there was another ... centuries ago ... that still walks the halls of Stonecrest Castle.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Friday, August 5, 2011 -- Twice Weekly Blog -- The Governess

Excerpt from The Governess -- Chapter 11 finished:

As his own breathing calmed, his chest heaved a heavy, relieved sigh with knowing that his children were safe.  Dabbing at her eyes with his handkerchief, Lord Huntington said gruffly, “I have handled my fears poorly, Lady Blakemore.  I have quite upset you.  Again, I am in need of apologizing to you.”
Shaking her head, she exclaimed, “But no!  It is I who have upset you and am in need of apologizing!  I had no idea of the circumstances of your wife’s…death…”  Shuddering against him, she cried, “I am so, so sorry! 
He wiped guiltily at her tears again. 
“I truly was watching the children.  I only lay down for a moment, listening to them laugh.  They were enjoying themselves so much.  I was just thinking about bringing a jar for the minnows next time…” 
He smoothed the tears off her cheeks as she struggled for control over her shuddering breaths.  He was aware that his feelings had changed abruptly.  What I would not do to comfort her!  To think that he was the cause of her distress was deeply disappointing.  He reluctantly stepped away from her, dangerously aware of how it felt to hold her in his arms.  
“Please.  I ask this of you.  Ease my troubled heart, and do not bring the children here again.” 
Blinking through her remaining tears, she stepped away, turning her back to him to gather her senses, hair and skirts twirling.  Watching as she momentarily composed herself, he heard her say, “As much as I respect you, my lord…” 
Interrupting, he carefully warned, “Lady Blakemore, please…” 
“…and…and as best as I can understand the circumstances and your fears, still, it is such a beautiful place, a place to be enjoyed, not to be avoided, and,” she became quiet, and whispered, “not to remember only death.”  Swiftly turning to him, she exclaimed, “I am sorry…but it is the truth!”  Wiping at her cheeks fiercely, embarrassed at her persistent emotion, she continued, “Wasn’t this tragedy two years ago?” 
His hands impatiently rested upon his hips, his anger boiling to the surface instantly. 
“They should be allowed to grieve and heal by replacing these sad memories with newer, happier memories of this place.  And you should too.”  Lord Huntington stepped away, turning his back to her.  “My lord, today you have given them another awful memory of this place.  They may not wish to come back.  Ever.” 
Spinning around, he shouted, “You make me crazy, woman!  Can I not give you an order and have it obeyed the first time?”  Grabbing her again, her hair wildly bouncing around her shoulders, he commanded, “You will obey me!” 
            Choking back her tears, refusing to allow them their freedom this time, she fiercely stated, “I must be allowed to tell you what I think is best for the children.”  She yanked her arms free of his hands, but continued.  He steeled himself for more of her explanations.  “If we both look to their best interests, I am sure we can agree on their happiest future by what we decide today.” 
            Groaning from exasperation at this tiny woman before him with her determination and strength of a fortress, he began again, raking his hands through his hair, as he answered, “If you insist upon bringing them to the lake,” he said through clenched teeth, “I wish for there to be…someone else present to help you watch them, at the very least.  You should be taking precautions, simply because…it is wise.  You never know what children might suddenly do.  Or worse, who is wandering about.” 
            Embarrassed that she had forgotten this, she said, “I am sorry that I forgot, my lord.”  Then impatiently, she questioned, “Why could that someone else not be you?”
            With frustration apparent, he sighed heavily, “You never give up do you?” 
            “Not when I think it worth the effort.  I see now what I failed to see before.” 
            “And what is that?” 
            “You truly do care about your children.  You do…love them.” 
            “Of course I do!  You have doubted that?” he growled, questioning her.   
            “I have,” she spoke softly, embarrassed. 
            “I see.”  Eyes narrowed at her blatant honesty. 
            Almost begging him, she asked, “Please, will you not join us on a picnic next week, say, Tuesday?  They both enjoy the outdoors so very much.” 
            “I have business that day with the Marquis of Southwickshire and a Mr. Stone.”
            “Perhaps another day then…” 
            Resolved to make her understand his arrangement, he said, “Lady Blakemore, I will leave the position of governess to you.  I will see you at our evening meal.”  Bowing, he turned, mounted his horse and was gone. 

*******

So, the little governess was getting herself into trouble.  Good!  Her worries as yet were unfounded.  That was all that mattered.  For Creighton was hers and no one else’s!  She would make sure of that. 
            Progress upon her new wardrobe was nearing completion, the London shops busy with her demands, but she would leave now nonetheless.  Something inside told her she must be on her way. 
            Thinking of her most intimate confidant, she decided to involve them in her little plot.  Yes!  They would be splendid!  They were, after all, just alike.  Always scheming to get their way… The perfect partner in helping her claim her deserved husband. 
            She laughed to herself, pleased with her plans.  She would be home soon…

Why won't Lord Huntington be more involved with his children?  And who is this secret woman plotting to have him?  And what can Carly do about either situation?

Thanks for reading with me today.  Join me on Monday for more.
Ellise ;)

No comments: